Saturday, April 23, 2011

Jesus Redeems Us With Outstretched Arms

by Tom Holladay ~ The Purpose Driven Life

Taking bread, he blessed it, broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, given for you. Eat it in my memory.” He did the same with the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant written in my blood, blood poured out for you.” Luke 22:19-20 (Msg)

"The blood on the door posts in Egypt -- now it's fulfilled in Jesus who sacrificed his life for us, who poured out his blood to set us free from our sin and guilt."

The third cup in the Passover meal is the cup of redemption. Redemption means to buy somebody's freedom. Jesus bought your freedom with his life on the cross. At the Last Supper, which was a Passover meal, Jesus said, “This third cup, I want to give it new meaning. This is the promise of a new covenant between you and God, a new promise of freedom that comes through my blood.”

He was saying, “I'm going to go to a cross and my life blood is going to be poured out for you.” He was saying, “I want you to take this cup of redemption and see it from now on as a representation of the fact that I'm pouring out my blood for you. And I want you, together, to take this and drink this and to remember me.”

Jesus is the fulfillment of everything in the Passover meal. He’s the bread of life. He is God's promise in our lives. The blood on the door posts in Egypt -- now it's fulfilled in Jesus who sacrificed his life for us, who poured out his blood to set us free from our sin and guilt. The Bible says, “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 6:23 NLT)

Jesus sets us free from ourselves; he sets us free from our fears; and he sets us free from our sin and our guilt. This is why we celebrate Easter!

No comments: