Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Jesus Sets You Free To See

by Tom Holladay

"This cup of sanctification is a picture of our sanctification, the way that Jesus sets us apart and frees us to be who we were meant to be."

“I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment. I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God.”
Exodus 6:6-7a (NIV)

Passover is all about how God sets his people free and, in the Passover meal, we see the four promises that God makes to set his people free. Easter is a celebration of God’s promises, that through Jesus, God sets us free: “So if the Son sets you free, you are free through and through.” (John 8:36 Msg)

The Passover meal begins with the first cup called the cup of sanctification. You would recite a blessing: “Blessed be the God, the maker of the universe and the creator of the fruit of the vine.” And then you would drink from the cup.

This prayer, the Kadaysh, and this cup reminded people that they were sanctified, meaning they were set apart for God's purposes, set apart for God's love, set apart because of what he wants to do in our lives.

God set the people of Israel free, set them apart and freed them from slavery. Jesus wants to set you free; he wants to set you apart too: “I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. May God himself, the God who makes everything holy and whole, make you holy and whole.” (1 Thessalonians 5:23a Msg)

Holy means set apart -- God wants to make you holy and he wants to make you whole. If you look at your life this last week, this last month, this last year and you think there is nothing in me that could connect with God, God says, ‘No, I want to set you apart to be person I want you to be. I want to free you for the purposes I made you for.’

Now, I get it. I understand. You look at your life and you get frustrated. I do too. ‘Why can't I do what I want to do when I want to do it?’ ‘Why do I find myself doing what I don't want to do when I don't want to do it?’ That’s why Jesus wants to set you free – not only to begin in a new life, but also to set you free from the guilt from your faults and failures.

Jesus says if you'll come to me, you'll be free through and through. This cup of sanctification is a picture of our sanctification, the way that Jesus sets us apart and frees us to be who we were meant to be.

No comments: